Monday, September 26

Magnet Exploration :: Tin Can Robots

I've recently joined Pinterest. Initially, I didn't think I would. I didn't like the idea of having to wait to get invited and I didn't think I would use it all that much. But, now I'm hooked like everyone else! It is such a great way to find and organize ideas and a wonderful resource for inspiration. Inspiration like these magnet play, tin can robots.



I found this idea while looking around pinterest and started saving caps and cans. Originally I saw Deborah's post on this idea via Pinterest and knew my daughters would like it. Ours is a little smaller scale so that it can sit on the activity shelf this week for play, however if I had the space I would love to have a large scale one like Deborah's.



I used small and large magnets. The smaller magnets were glued with a glue gun onto the outside of the caps (they won't stick if glued on the inside). I also glued magnets onto the flat marbles (is that what they're called?) and some corks. Also on the tray are metal caps to be used with the large magnets allowing for experiments with how the magnet can be used to attach the caps to the cans. And because I couldn't find a slinky, we made our own beaded wire spring by wrapping wire around a marker and adding beads for color. I am looking forward to seeing more robot creations throughout the week.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cool Idea! I am going to pin this and start working on saving cans and bottles! Thanks for sharing!

emili said...

This is wonderful - I will be doing this with my two little boys this afternoon :) Thank you for sharing!

Deborah said...

Yours is perfect!!

Unknown said...

thank you for taking the time to post this.